Effective management of public water supplies and the water environment relies on sound analysis and interpretation of monitoring data, but statistical methods can be confusing and difficult to implement for non-statisticians. This intensive one-day training course has been specially designed to provide water quality professionals with an accessible introduction to important statistical concepts, and to show how appropriate methods can be used to answer common questions such as:
- Is water or effluent quality getting better or worse, or more or less variable?
- What is the risk of non-compliance?
- When have changes occurred and were they gradual or sudden?
- Are we doing enough sampling…or too much?
The course includes training in the use of AARDVARK, WRc's user-friendly software package, enabling users to quickly and easily visualise and analyse routine environmental, drinking water and effluent monitoring data.
By the end of the course delegates will be armed with a toolbox of simple statistical methods and have the knowledge and skills to apply these methods in their day to day jobs.The course covers:
- Essential statistical concepts.
- Characterising and quantifying water quality.
- Dealing with common data quality problems.
- Measuring uncertainty.
- Testing for changes in water quality over time.
- Using the AARDVARK software package.
- Statistical principles of compliance assessment.
- Understanding water quality standards.
- Compliance assessment in theory and practice.
- Detecting non-compliance.
- Classifying environmental status.
The course is delivered in an engaging and informal style that takes account of different levels of experience and expertise. Concepts are taught in bite size tutorials and reinforced by interactive practical sessions using real data.
We know that the full value of training is realised only by putting that learning into practice, so delegates will receive:
Who should attend?
- a comprehensive course booklet
- a 6 month trial version of the AARDVARK software package; and
- a technical support help-line to answer ongoing statistical questions.
This course has been designed for water quality planners and modellers, catchment managers, water quality scientists, data analysts, regulatory compliance managers, permitting officers, and anyone else who works with routine water quality monitoring data or relies upon the evidence it provides. No prior statistical knowledge is assumed, making the course suitable for those with a phobia of numbers!Benefits
What others say about the courseReally well presented course, done so in an accessible and encouraging manner which appealed to a variety of skill/knowledge levels.The instructor gave the best statistics class I've ever attended; it was extremely useful to anyone
whose work involves compliance assessment (permitting, analysis, reporting, enforcement) and analysis of water quality data.This was one of the most professionally delivered training courses I have ever attended. The content of the technical explanations was exceptional. It helped to gain a greater understanding of water quality statistics. The presenter was very approachable and happy to answer questions.Other Booking / Payment Methods
- Upskilled staff with the knowledge and tools to turn existing data into useful information
- Greater productivity by exploiting the power of user-friendly, specialist software
- Evidence to take better informed decisions and improve compliance.
If you are unable to book online, please complete the REGISTRATION
form and a member of staff will contact you.